Monday 7 April 2014

It's the Easter Holidays.... Another half-term

What a long term, yet it only feels like Christmas was last weekend. Anyone else agree? What started off as the odd bit of supply work here and there at the beginning of January, turned into a constant frenzy of numerous schools which turned into long-term supply cover at one infant school which in latter turned into another long-term post after Easter at another school. HAPPY DAYS!
So the holidays begin...
So the holidays have begun and I technically have a job for one term only, which hopefully will turn into a full-time post come September as I've heard from the head that they will advertise for a new class teacher. I need to keep my head down and shine like an angel. Furthermore, before I start thinking to the distant future, I need to plan for my near future - that means lesson plans!! 

Being a busy-bee that I am, I am going to try and update the blog as much as I can over the holidays as I plan to do a page about QTS help and have a post on Apps that I strongly believe can assist any teacher in my position. I'm still finding it hard to gain traffic to the blog, I've google'd many searches on how I can promote my blog using Twitter, Google+ and Pinterest, yet I'm still witnessing slight viewing numbers. If anyone has any suggestions on this topic, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Anywho, on a final note I would like to share a couple of books I've bought recently and plan to read over the holidays. The first is 'The Lazy Teacher's Handbook: How your students learn more when you teach less', not saying I see myself as a lazy teacher but I've heard good reviews about this book with lots of ways of shifting the emphasis off teaching and onto learning. The second book I've started reading is 'Jumpstart!: Literacy - Games and Activities for 7-14 year olds', I've seen this book on many teacher desks in classrooms throughout my supply teaching career and decided that me being the intrusive person that I am, I need to read this. Being a Pie Corbett book as well, I've already found numerous creative lesson starters and multi-sensory games I can use as soon as I'm back teaching.

Finally, to all those teachers out there that are used too marking books this late on a Monday afternoon or who are still school, I salute you. Let's enjoy these two weeks while they last. Happy Easter everybody.

Mr. W

2 comments:

  1. Mr. W-
    First, congrats to you on your long-term position. I am crossing my fingers for you. I was hired as a permanent replacement for my classroom; although I have heard rumors that the teacher that I replaced believes that she is coming back, I will not hold my breath until I hear "Will you sign a contract for August 2014, and so on?". And just like you, I am busy writing up lessons plans for a lesson I was thrown into. :) Unlike you, we do not have Easter holidays this year because the southern part of the eastern U.S. got hit will record SNOW fall this year. All of our vacation days were pretty much taken away to make up for missed snow days. We have Good Friday off. Day 3, and I just want to go to sleep, and I cannot because I want to make sure my kids have rich lessons. Now, time to play catch-up. Good luck with both your classes, and getting more followers!

    Your friend across the pond,
    Mrs. M. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mrs. M. Gutted about not having Easter holidays, I don't think I've seen snow in about 7 years here. I think I've done most of planning now and can start enjoying the next 11 days off I still have :D Thank you for the congrats, and I hope you get the news you want to here.

    All the best in your planning :)
    Mr. W

    ReplyDelete